Wednesday, October 19, 2005

My Visual Narrative Project

I've put the results of my visual narrative project up in the gallery. It's a little rough right now, I definitely could use some time to polish it up, but I probably won't have that time for a while.

I wasn't completely satisfied with how the project turned out. I had hoped to develop a very strong set of visuals and use a fairly simple narrative to connect them. But the process became so tedious that I found myself cutting corners just to get it finished. Though the game was central to the story I created, and my desire to work within a rich but unpredictable environment, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas was not very hospitable to my efforts. But, I guess, that was part of my whole point. I'm riffing off machinima here, where the trend is toward greater and greater visual sophistication and character control. But so much of the charm of machinima, to me, is in the tension between what the "director" wants to do and what the gaming platform allows them to do.

Anyway, you have to admit, even if you think the end result is not brilliant, that it's pretty cool to be able to do this kind of stuff for school.

No comments: